Hemp Oil Benefits for Arthritis
Recent research suggests a range of potential hemp oil benefits for arthritis. In this article, we’ll take a look at these findings and discuss how arthritis patients may be able to use hemp-derived CBD products to help alleviate the often painful symptoms associated with arthritis.
WHAT IS CBD?
Cannabidiol, commonly referred to as the abbreviation CBD, is a chemical compound unique to the Cannabaceae family of plants. Naturally secreted by hemp and scientifically accredited with an array of potential symptom-relieving qualities, CBD is easily one of the most well-researched cannabinoids to date.
SOURCES OF ARTHRITIC PAIN
Arthritis is recognized in several distinct categories, including (but not limited to):
- Gout: A type of inflammatory arthritis that does not affect the whole body. Gout results in painful joint inflammation that typically occurs in the big toe, but it can afflict damage on other joints as well.
- Osteoarthritis: A diagnosis of osteoarthritis (OA) occurs when the protective cartilage inside a patient’s joints begins to break down, causing any movement to be difficult and excruciatingly painful. Pain can register from mild to severe and varies from person to person.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: An autoimmune inflammatory disease, psoriatic arthritis (PsA) is a result of the immune system attacking the body. It can affect joints (arthritis), connective tissue (enthesitis), and the skin (psoriasis).
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Another autoimmune inflammatory disease, rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is diagnosed when the immune system attacks joints and organs. Pain associated with RA can affect bones and ligaments, with inflammation causing permanent damage to the joints over time.
Many arthritic patients are prescribed painkillers to help combat symptoms. Unfortunately, these painkillers often include many assumed risks in the forms of adverse side effects, the potential for developing a physical dependency to the substance, and withdrawal symptoms once treatment is discontinued.
CBD, on the other hand, is widely believed to be a far safer alternative and just as effective as prescription pharmaceuticals and many over-the-counter medications.
HEMP OIL AND ARTHRITIC PAIN
Researchers accredit hemp-derived CBD with potent anti-inflammatory properties. Various studies conducted on an animal model demonstrate its potential usefulness in helping combat symptoms of arthritic pain and inflammation. Its interactions with the endocannabinoid system, more specifically the CB1 and CB2 receptors, is believed to help regulate the sensation of physical pain, as supported by a 2011 study.
Further research conducted in 2016 reaffirms the potential benefits of CBD for arthritis as an effective way to calm inflammation and relieve pain. Additionally, researchers behind a study conducted in 2017 suggest that CBD could be a safe and effective treatment for osteoarthritic joint pain.
CBD POTENTIAL SIDE-EFFECTS AND RISKS
Like most symptom-relieving compounds, the consumer assumes certain risks when undergoing a CBD regimen. Fortunately, commonly reported potential side-effects are few, mild, and very easily manageable. These may include:
- Dry mouth: Research indicates a direct association between CBD and a reduction in saliva production. Symptoms of dry mouth can easily be managed by consuming water before and/or after administering a dose of CBD.
- Drop in blood pressure: Studies demonstrate an initial drop in blood pressure (BP) shortly after consumption of a CBD-infused product. BP quickly normalizes with no additional remedy required.
- Dizziness: Likely associated with the initial drop in blood pressure, consumers could potentially undergo a brief period of lightheadedness. To combat this, those prone to dizziness could consume doses in a seated position until the spell passes.
Aside from the slight risk of undergoing the side-effects as mentioned above, CBD is generally a very well-tolerated compound with a high safety profile, as supported by an international discloser released by the World Health Organization (WHO). CBD is additionally not associated with any risk of developing a physical dependency nor risk of overdose.
WILL CBD CAUSE ME TO FAIL A DRUG TEST?
While CBD sensitive drug screenings do exist, they are rarely employed. Typically, drug tests are designed to detect the presence of delta-nine-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Therefore, products that incorporate appropriately extracted CBD isolates (crystalized CBD) from hemp or broad-spectrum CBD pose no potential risk of registering a positive drug screen, as all active THC content has been filtered and removed from these types of legal products.
Here at Hempindica, we offer an extensive variety of high-quality hemp-derived CBD products. Our topicals are best suited to help address symptoms of arthritic pain due to their ability to provide targeted relief directly to the source of pain. Browse our wide selection of creams and lotions, rubs, massage oils, and salves to find your ideal product!