CBD Cancer Treatment Studies
Easily one of the most promising applications of CBD pertains to its potential as an effective treatment for various types of cancer. While research into this claim is still very much in its infancy, the evidence gathered thus far is highly encouraging. In this article, we discuss various CBD cancer treatment studies, including how this organic compound can potentially provide symptomatic relief and possible anti-cancer effects.
WHAT IS CBD?
An organic plant-based compound, cannabidiol (CBD) is a naturally occurring chemical compound present within hemp and cannabis (marijuana). Scientifically accredited with several therapeutic traits and potential health applications, CBD has become one of the hottest health and wellness trends available in the marketplace today. CBD is utilized by thousands of global consumers to help manage symptoms commonly associated with the following conditions and disorders:
- Chronic pain
- Epileptic and non-epileptic seizures
- Gastrointestinal (GI) issues
- Sleep disorders
CBD has additionally demonstrated potential value as an effective cancer treatment and preventative. To understand the therapeutic traits of this organic compound, having a basic understanding of how CBD works is paramount.
HOW DOES CBD WORK?
CBD has a profound interaction with our internal endocannabinoid system (ECS), more specifically with the CB1 and CB2 receptors. A highly complex network of specialized receptors, endocannabinoids, and their metabolic enzymes, the ECS is a crucial biological function accredited with establishing and regulating overall health. Responsible for promoting a state of homeostasis within the body, the ECS additionally regulates vital bodily functions such as appetite, mood, sleep, and pain perception.
CBD CANCER TREATMENT STUDIES
Thus far, researchers have acquired astounding evidence to suggest the potential of CBD as an impactful treatment for many symptoms of cancer, as well as for many associated side-effects of traditional cancer treatments. Again, it is crucial to acknowledge the infancy of CBD and cancer-focused studies. However, evidence gathered thus far is highly encouraging.
SYMPTOMATIC CANCER RELIEF
Current research suggests the efficacy of CBD to help provide symptomatic cancer relief. For example, CBD could potentially help manage the following symptoms commonly associated with many different types of cancer and cancer-related treatments:
- Depression: According to a statistic reported by the American Cancer Society (ACS), up to 1 in 4 patients diagnosed with cancer also suffer from clinical depression. Certain CBD-based studies demonstrate a 50% decrease of depressive symptoms and a 58% reduction in stress and anxiety levels.
- Lack of appetite: A reduction in appetite can rapidly accelerate to a host of other complications, especially during cancer treatment. Researchers behind a study conducted at Yale University concluded that cannabinoids could increase appetite. However, this study analyzed the use of cannabis as a whole as opposed to isolated CBD.
- Nausea: A common side-effect of cancer treatment, nausea is a troublesome symptom to treat. Nausea and vomiting make it difficult for patients to consume nutrients essential to recovery. Due to CBD’s complex interaction with the endocannabinoid system, it has demonstrated an ability to help reduce symptoms of nausea and subsequent vomiting.
- Pain: CBD could provide a way for cancer patients to manage pain, presenting a potentially more effective alternative to traditional opioid treatments. The potent anti-inflammatory traits of CBD have demonstrated an ability to help manage several types of pain effectively.
This potential ability to help combat several symptoms simultaneously could present a novel treatment for several different types of cancer. In addition to symptomatic relief, CBD could be utilized alongside traditional cancer treatments to help manage symptoms directly associated with chemotherapy.
CBD & CHEMOTHERAPY
CBD has demonstrated an ability to partner well with chemotherapy as a combination therapy to enhance the overall effectiveness of cancer treatment. In addition to helping manage the adverse side-effects of chemotherapy, research suggests that CBD allows chemotherapy drugs to be more accessible. Again, cancer-focused studies are still ongoing.
CBD & ANTI-TUMOR PROPERTIES
Researchers have discovered a relationship between the endocannabinoid system and tumor generation and progression. Based upon the evidence gathered in an animal model, cannabinoids such as CBD could act aggressively toward cancerous cells. Results indicate that CBD could restrict the growth and development of cancer cells and potentially even encourage their self-destruction by limiting their energy source.
A FINAL WORD FROM HEMPINDICA
Hempindica is a reputable vendor of CBD-infused products. Each of our offerings incorporates only the highest quality hemp-derived, federally compliant CBD attainable, legal in all 50 states. We proudly offer free shipping on each order and ship nationwide. Browse our extensive collection of products by category to find your ideal CBD-infused supplement, and don’t miss our featured offerings!